via Lobe Log
A new letter in support of former Sen. Chuck Hagel’s nomination signed by a familiar list of eminences was published in the form of an ad in the front section of the Washington Post. Unlike other letters, this one specifically addresses the Israel-Palestinian conflict with a strong endorsement of the principles that underlie the so-called “Clinton parameters”. And, in a clear swipe at neo-conservatives, in particular, it asserts that attempts by some to claim that those who support these principles are either anti-Israel or anti-Semitic are “unacceptable.”
Signers include former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren, who is Hagel’s co-chair on the President’s Intelligence Advisory Board, former Republican Sen. Nancy Landon Kassebaum-Baker, former Democratic Sen. Gary Hart, former U.S. Trade Representative Carla Hills (George H. W. Bush), former Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs and UN Amb. Thomas Pickering, former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, former national security advisers Zbigniew Brzezinski (Jimmy Carter) and Brent Scowcroft (Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush), former CentCom Commander, Gen. William “Fox” Fallon, former Defense Secretary Frank Carlucci (Ronald Reagan), and former World Bank Chairman James Wolfensohn. Of course, most of these have signed other letters in support of Hagel, but Boren’s signature is particularly significant given his long history in the right-of-center Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), one of the central principles of which was solid support for Israel. Wolfensohn is also significant given his role after his departure from the Bank as the Quartet’s representative in dealing with Israel-Palestinian issue. He quit in frustration after only a year in 2006 and was succeeded by the egregiously cynical Tony Blair.
Here is the letter.
- Protecting Biodiversity in Costa Rica’s Thermal Convection Dome in the Pacific
- Pakistan’s Ahmadis Faced with Death or Exile
- Belize Fights to Save a Crucial Barrier Reef
- Warmer Days a Catastrophe in the Making for Kenya’s Pastoralists
- OPINION: Innovation Needed to Help Family Farms Thrive
- Pacific Climate Change Warriors Block World’s Largest Coal Port
- OPINION: Iraq’s Minorities Battling for Survival
- Ebola Epidemic Deeply Distressing for Children, Warns UNICEF
- Israel Planning Mass Expulsion of Bedouins from West Bank
- History of Key Document in IAEA Probe Suggests Israeli Forgery