via Lobe Log
A new letter in support of former Sen. Chuck Hagel’s nomination signed by a familiar list of eminences was published in the form of an ad in the front section of the Washington Post. Unlike other letters, this one specifically addresses the Israel-Palestinian conflict with a strong endorsement of the principles that underlie the so-called “Clinton parameters”. And, in a clear swipe at neo-conservatives, in particular, it asserts that attempts by some to claim that those who support these principles are either anti-Israel or anti-Semitic are “unacceptable.”
Signers include former Oklahoma Sen. David Boren, who is Hagel’s co-chair on the President’s Intelligence Advisory Board, former Republican Sen. Nancy Landon Kassebaum-Baker, former Democratic Sen. Gary Hart, former U.S. Trade Representative Carla Hills (George H. W. Bush), former Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs and UN Amb. Thomas Pickering, former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, former national security advisers Zbigniew Brzezinski (Jimmy Carter) and Brent Scowcroft (Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush), former CentCom Commander, Gen. William “Fox” Fallon, former Defense Secretary Frank Carlucci (Ronald Reagan), and former World Bank Chairman James Wolfensohn. Of course, most of these have signed other letters in support of Hagel, but Boren’s signature is particularly significant given his long history in the right-of-center Democratic Leadership Council (DLC), one of the central principles of which was solid support for Israel. Wolfensohn is also significant given his role after his departure from the Bank as the Quartet’s representative in dealing with Israel-Palestinian issue. He quit in frustration after only a year in 2006 and was succeeded by the egregiously cynical Tony Blair.
Here is the letter.
- GDP and the Unaccounted for 82 Percent of National Wealth
- The Soil, Silent Ally Against Hunger in Latin America
- Uzbekistan Gears Up to Vote for Rubberstamp Parliament
- Changes to World Bank Safeguards Risk “Race to the Bottom”, U.N. Experts Warn
- The Day Anti-Castro Forces Tried to Bomb the U.N.
- U.S. Flag Can Be Seen Again in Cuba
- REDD and the Green Economy Continue to Undermine Rights
- Europe Dream Swept Away in Tripoli
- OPINION: Non-Violence and the Lost Message of Jesus
- After 53 Years, Obama to Normalise Ties with Cuba