via Lobe Log
By Mark Jansson
Although President Obama has another four years, he will surely continue to hear from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin (Bibi) Netanyahu and a chorus of critics at home, that he has far less time to convince Iran to cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA). But the administration [...]
U.S. hawks insist at every turn on more and harsher sanctions against Iran. But the only means of pressure available to them may be either ineffective unilateral moves or aggressive extraterritorial sanctions that are likely to upset allies.
Well, not quite. But the former Pentagon under-secretary and current AEI scholar has something to say on the subject.
A recent neoconservative meme has been to assert that the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt that are imperiling dictatorial regimes owe a debt of gratitude to President George W. Bush’s efforts to bring democracy [...]
(Late-breaking updates below, including reactions and Jundullah’s claim of responsibility.)
Iran blamed the United States for a suicide attack in the Islamic Republic’s restive Southeast. While Iran is mostly a Shia country, the Southeast is home to a Sunni ethnic Baluchi population that straddles the border with Pakistan.
When host Christiane Amanpour brought up Mid East peace talks on ABC’s Sunday talk show “This Week,” the topic of conversation went quickly from the talks themselves to the West’s standoff with Iran over its nuclear program.
But there was a noticeable difference in the tone of this conversation versus those in the run-up [...]
- The Climate Crisis Disrupts the Education of 40 Million Children Every Year
- Energy Efficiency Is Law in Chile but Concrete Progress Is Slow in Coming
- Climate Change Meets Conflict Pushing Millions of Children in Ethiopia Out of School
- We Indigenous Peoples are Rights-Holders, not Stakeholders
- Europe and the Refugee Crisis: It’s all About Tackling Racism & Discrimination
- The Paradox of Powerless Superpowers Versus the Plight & Power of the Ukrainian People
- To Achieve Human Rights, Start with Food
- Corruption: Europe Doing Nothing – Part II
- Toward Free Education for All Children – Momentum Building to Expand the Right to Millions
- COP15: Shift in Societal Values Needed to Address Biodiversity Loss