via Lobe Log
As former top State Department intelligence specialist Wayne White points out for Lobe Log, in the absence of a tenable ceasefire agreement, the quagmire that is the Syrian civil war will likely intensify, thereby only worsening post-Assad scenarios.
“The bottom line is that a sort of Catch-22 situation is [...]
Reposted by arrangement with Think Progress
Every problem in the Middle East must look like a nail to some neoconservatives because they always want to bring out the big hammer of the U.S. military. That was the case today on Fox News when Jonathan Schanzer, the vice president of research at the [...]
It has finally happened. After thousands of anti-regime protestors have been killed and thousands more have been arrested and forced from their homes in less than one year, the Obama administration has called for President Bashar al-Assad to step down.
What accounts for the delay and the finalizing of the U.S. government’s wishy-washy [...]
Posted with the permission of Think Progress
The Washington Post’s Jennifer Rubin has a history of never missing an opportunity to criticize the White House, but her post today, “Obama tolerates terror operations run out of Syria’s embassy,” provides yet another example of Rubin’s loose relationship [...]
As the Syrian government’s brutal crackdown on anti-regime protestors intensifies and President Bashar al-Assad faces increasing criticism from allies, many are watching Iran’s response. Will the isolated Islamic Republic support its important friend until the end or distance itself from the Syrian regime’s sinking ship?
According to Iranian-Israeli Middle East analyst Meir Javedanfar: “[t]he moment [...]
- Caribbean Farming Gets Its Roots Wet
- Zimbabwe’s Ruling Party Militias Spread Fear of Voting
- In India, Rapists Don’t Spare Children
- Q&A: Reworking Finance to Serve People and the Environment
- Migrant Workers Face Tough Times in Thailand
- Small and Large Steps towards Equality for Gays in Cuba
- Myanmar’s President Makes Historic, Divisive Visit to White House
- Brazil Lagging in Fight against Human Trafficking
- When It Comes to Syria, Israel Frequently Redrawing Red Lines
- Living in Hell, Iraqi Christians Dream of Paradise