One day Rukiya came home from school crying, sobbing that she didn’t want to go there again.
“What happened?” asked her mom.
“Abana bagaba kusomelo nti nina silimu ate ntinda bika bubbi nyo era ngenda kuffa esawa yona era negamba nze silina kuba kusomero nina kubawaka effe bulungi,” said Rukiya.
“The children say I have [...]
Geert Cappelaere is UNICEF’s Representative to Sudan
For over two years 165,000 children in conflict zones of Blue Nile and South Kordofan in south eastern Sudan have been under fire; with little food and clean water, few schools and some have been forced to dig out small shelters in caves to flee the [...]
Chiara Frisone is a Communication Consultant at the UNICEF Africa Service Unit in South Africa
Two weeks ago I met Jeanne and Hubert Mwangaza in a poor suburb of Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where I was on a video assignment with UNICEF. Hubert could not wait to tell me – on camera – [...]
By Sohaila Weda Khamoosh
Rohafza spends her days sitting behind a padlocked grill door, immovable and staring at Maidani, the place her son is buried. The woman’s face is pale, and her hair is graying. For two years the door has stayed closed, barring Rohafza from seeing her son’s grave. It’s her family that is [...]
As always with rich reports like these, there is too much valuable info to squeeze into one article, so I’m making use of this space to draw [...]
As Beyonce’s video celebrating World Humanitarian Day continues to make its rounds through the internet, humanitarian workers on the ground in the drought-affected Sahel arguably have bigger fish to fry as they try to stave off deteriorating conditions in Niger and Mali amidst staggering shortages in relief funding.
As I reported last month, [...]
- Finding My Migrant Voice
- Countries are Using Domestic Laws to Criminalize Health Care
- Ukraine Puts Water Strategy High on Development Agenda
- Looking to the Sky for Solutions to Mexico’s Water Scarcity
- A Journey from Science to Diplomacy: Rescuing Somali Migrants Stranded in Libya
- EU Funds Giant Research Project on Migration
- UAE stresses keenness to deal with Human Rights Council mechanisms with honesty and transparency
- Chairman of the Geneva Centre: World Society Must Express Greater Solidarity for Refugees Worldwide
- Oil industry stands on threshold of historic step change in demand for its products: ADNOC CEO
- Three Countries Protect Half the World’s New Refugees