One day Rukiya came home from school crying, sobbing that she didn’t want to go there again.
“What happened?” asked her mom.
“Abana bagaba kusomelo nti nina silimu ate ntinda bika bubbi nyo era ngenda kuffa esawa yona era negamba nze silina kuba kusomero nina kubawaka effe bulungi,” said Rukiya.
“The children say I have [...]
Geert Cappelaere is UNICEF’s Representative to Sudan
For over two years 165,000 children in conflict zones of Blue Nile and South Kordofan in south eastern Sudan have been under fire; with little food and clean water, few schools and some have been forced to dig out small shelters in caves to flee the [...]
Chiara Frisone is a Communication Consultant at the UNICEF Africa Service Unit in South Africa
Two weeks ago I met Jeanne and Hubert Mwangaza in a poor suburb of Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), where I was on a video assignment with UNICEF. Hubert could not wait to tell me – on camera – [...]
By Sohaila Weda Khamoosh
Rohafza spends her days sitting behind a padlocked grill door, immovable and staring at Maidani, the place her son is buried. The woman’s face is pale, and her hair is graying. For two years the door has stayed closed, barring Rohafza from seeing her son’s grave. It’s her family that is [...]
As always with rich reports like these, there is too much valuable info to squeeze into one article, so I’m making use of this space to draw [...]
As Beyonce’s video celebrating World Humanitarian Day continues to make its rounds through the internet, humanitarian workers on the ground in the drought-affected Sahel arguably have bigger fish to fry as they try to stave off deteriorating conditions in Niger and Mali amidst staggering shortages in relief funding.
As I reported last month, [...]
- Chairman of the Geneva Centre: World Conference outcome declaration contributes to the realization of the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Ethiopian Domestic Workers Battle for Survival in Saudi Arabia
- Experts Call For Global Momentum on Gender Parity
- Recognising the Debilitating Nature Conflict Has on Food Security
- Freezing Inside UAE’s High Rise Buildings While Temperatures Soar Outside
- First Steps Towards a Global Agreement on the High Seas
- Unfinished Business – Nurture entrepreneurs, connect the dots between youth, innovation, and jobs toward green growth
- Indigenous Peoples Link Their Development to Clean Energies
- Levelling the Playing Field for Persons with Disabilities in the United States
- UN Expects More Upheavals as Trump’s Foreign Policy Runs Wild