Negative comments at the end of an article or blog are nothing new. However, after recently reading a story about a local co-op group that my worker-owned cooperative is part of, I was struck by the mentally lazy vitriol of the first commenters. The article was about a new loan fund to help small [...]
Earlier this month, the Heartland Alliance, a leading Midwest-based anti-poverty organization, released their annual poverty report about Illinois. Their findings are deeply troubling. Instead of mirroring the U.S. government’s rhetoric of recovery and job creation, the report shows an increase in joblessness, poverty, homeless youth, and the divide between rich and poor.
The numbers [...]
Though the big winter holidays are behind us, we are now looking toward another year filled with birthdays and many other celebrations. Most of these are centered around the exchange of gifts, which presents us with the same dilemma we faced in December: We really don’t want to engorge ourselves in mindless purchasing of empty [...]
- Côte d’Ivoire’s Tech Solutions to Local Problems
- Uzbekistan’s Dying Aral Sea Resurrected as Tourist Attraction
- OP-ED: Egyptian-Saudi Coalition in Defence of Autocracy
- Is Puerto Rico Going the Way of Greece and Detroit?
- Conflict Fuels Child Labour in India
- Russians Blend Loyalty to Nazarbayev with Pro-Kremlin Sentiments
- Valparaíso Blaze Highlights the City’s Poverty
- IPCC Climate Report Calls for “Major Institutional Change”
- Yakama Nation Tells DOE to Clean Up Nuclear Waste
- Turtles Change Migration Routes Due to Climate Change