Negative comments at the end of an article or blog are nothing new. However, after recently reading a story about a local co-op group that my worker-owned cooperative is part of, I was struck by the mentally lazy vitriol of the first commenters. The article was about a new loan fund to help small [...]
Earlier this month, the Heartland Alliance, a leading Midwest-based anti-poverty organization, released their annual poverty report about Illinois. Their findings are deeply troubling. Instead of mirroring the U.S. government’s rhetoric of recovery and job creation, the report shows an increase in joblessness, poverty, homeless youth, and the divide between rich and poor.
The numbers [...]
Though the big winter holidays are behind us, we are now looking toward another year filled with birthdays and many other celebrations. Most of these are centered around the exchange of gifts, which presents us with the same dilemma we faced in December: We really don’t want to engorge ourselves in mindless purchasing of empty [...]
- “Outsiders” in Focus at French Film Fest
- Shipping and Industry Threaten Famed Home of the Bengal Tiger
- Grass Planting Reduces Soil Erosion, Risk of Landslides in Rohingya Refugee Camps
- “What do you Become When you Shoot to Kill Someone who is Unarmed, & not an Immediate Threat to You?”
- Indigenous Peoples Recover Native Languages in Mexico
- Will Climate Change Cause More Migrants than Wars?
- Leveraging Climate Finance in Africa
- Africa Gains Momentum in Green Climate Solutions
- ICBA scientists start growing halophytic vegetables in UAE
- Growth in global economy exceeds expectations, but increased risks could threaten economic outlook, UN report says