Negative comments at the end of an article or blog are nothing new. However, after recently reading a story about a local co-op group that my worker-owned cooperative is part of, I was struck by the mentally lazy vitriol of the first commenters. The article was about a new loan fund to help small [...]
Earlier this month, the Heartland Alliance, a leading Midwest-based anti-poverty organization, released their annual poverty report about Illinois. Their findings are deeply troubling. Instead of mirroring the U.S. government’s rhetoric of recovery and job creation, the report shows an increase in joblessness, poverty, homeless youth, and the divide between rich and poor.
The numbers [...]
Though the big winter holidays are behind us, we are now looking toward another year filled with birthdays and many other celebrations. Most of these are centered around the exchange of gifts, which presents us with the same dilemma we faced in December: We really don’t want to engorge ourselves in mindless purchasing of empty [...]
- Beyond Rhetoric: UN Member States Start Work on Global Goals
- We Must Talk: Not Just Ph and China but Us and China, Too
- Why we Failed
- The Americans Should Have Their Own Chilcot
- There is No Honour in Killing
- Devastating Droughts Continue as El Nino Subsides
- San Juan City: The Smart City of the Future
- Convicting Children
- Is Kemalism on Its Way out in Turkey?
- Economic Recovery Needed To Enhance Food Security