Negative comments at the end of an article or blog are nothing new. However, after recently reading a story about a local co-op group that my worker-owned cooperative is part of, I was struck by the mentally lazy vitriol of the first commenters. The article was about a new loan fund to help small [...]
Earlier this month, the Heartland Alliance, a leading Midwest-based anti-poverty organization, released their annual poverty report about Illinois. Their findings are deeply troubling. Instead of mirroring the U.S. government’s rhetoric of recovery and job creation, the report shows an increase in joblessness, poverty, homeless youth, and the divide between rich and poor.
The numbers [...]
Though the big winter holidays are behind us, we are now looking toward another year filled with birthdays and many other celebrations. Most of these are centered around the exchange of gifts, which presents us with the same dilemma we faced in December: We really don’t want to engorge ourselves in mindless purchasing of empty [...]
- Kenya and Ethiopia Join Forces to Advance Peace, Security, Development and Hope
- Costa Rica’s Caribbean Coast Pools Efforts Against Climate Change
- Prepare Now for the Next Financial Crisis
- Parliamentarians Study Nexus of Youth, Refugees and Development
- No Justice, No Peace for Yemeni Children
- Pope Francis Donates to FAO for Drought, Conflict-Stricken East Africa
- UAE Leading the Way on Shifting to Greener Energy
- Local Farmers and Consumers Create Short Food Supply Chains in Mexican Cities
- Lawmakers in Europe Want the UN to Debate a Parliamentary Assembly. When Will Governments Follow?
- Early Death in Russia