via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- Zimbabwe Faces Troubling Spike in Cases of Multi-Drug Resistant TB
- After Nine Years of Foot-Dragging, U.N. Ready for Talks on High Seas Treaty
- OPINION: Greece Gives EU the Chance to Rediscover Its Social Responsibility
- General Assembly Holds Informal Meeting on Anti-Semitism
- Forced Disappearances Are Humanitarian Crisis in Mexico
- Obama-Congress Iran Sanctions Battle Goes International
- U.S. May Soon Stand Alone Opposing Children’s Treaty
- Three Minutes Away from Doomsday
- A “Rosetta Stone” for Conducting Biodiversity Assessments
- OPINION: Banks, Inequality and Citizens