via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- Unleashing Africa Full Potential
- UN “Profoundly Sorry” for Haiti Cholera Outbreak
- ISDS Corporate Rule of Law
- Fidel Castro, a Larger-than-Life Leader in Tumultuous Times
- Ending AIDS Needs Both Prevention and a Cure
- Pervez Musharraf Sets out ‘Higher’ Comeback Plans
- Subway Will Modernise – and Further Gentrify – Historic Centre of Quito
- Rohingya Refugees Trapped in Limbo
- Looking into the Eyes of Central American Refugees in a Time of Hate and Fear
- Journalists Honoured for their Courage, Resolve