via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- U.S. Plans to Speed Poultry Slaughtering, Cut Inspections
- Women Still Walk Two Steps Behind in Arab World
- The Standoff in Ukraine (and in Washington)
- New Economic Crisis Engulfing Developing Countries
- Kerala Throttling its Golden Goose
- Russians Back Crimea Action, They’d Better
- Untimely Rains Hit Cuban Tobacco Harvest
- U.N. Struggles for Relevancy in Ukraine Crisis
- India Fights a Tougher TB
- Oscar Win To Boost Kenya’s Fledgling Entertainment Industry