via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- Women’s Alliance Plans to Counter Violent Extremism
- United Arab Emirates and Cuba Forge Closer Ties
- Opinion: American Exceptionalism on Child Rights
- Social Media Giant Unveils Internet Plan for Rural Africa
- G77 Ministers Call for UN Agency for South-South Cooperation
- The Global South Will Make Its Contribution to Fighting Climate Change
- Q&A: ‘We Need to do Development Differently in the Post-2015 Era’
- 10 Million at Risk of Hunger Due to Climate Change and El Niño, Oxfam Warns
- Brazil’s Expanded Climate Targets Frustrate Environmentalists
- The Spectre of Jobless Growth in India