via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- OPINION: Water Shutoffs and Unintended Consequences – Lessons from Detroit
- Kazakhstan’s Nazarbayev Signals U-Turn on Alternative Energy
- Asia: So Close and Yet So Far From Polio Eradication
- Global South Brings United Front to Green Climate Fund
- OPINION: The Group of 77 & IPS at 50
- Kashmir Flood Carries Away Humble Dreams
- Central Asia Hurting as Russia’s Ruble Sinks
- Halting Progress: Ending Violence against Women
- Añelo, from Forgotten Town to Capital of Argentina’s Shale Fuel Boom
- Sustaining Africa’s Development by Leveraging on Climate Change