via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- ACP Aims to Make Voice of the Moral Majority Count in the Global Arena
- The U.N. at 70: Drugs and Crime are Challenges for Sustainable Development
- Opinion: A Critical Moment to Fortify Nuclear Test Ban
- Laissez Faire Water Laws Threaten Family Farming in Chile
- Iran Sanctions Regime Could Unravel with Failed Nuclear Deal
- Terror Groups May Be Winning Digital War on Extremist Ideology
- The U.N. at 70: A Glass Half Full
- Opinion: Tobacco Taxes Too Effective to Overlook in Financing for Development
- Opinion: Finance Like a Cancer Grows
- Pineapple Industry Leaves Costa Rican Communities High and Dry