via Lobe Log
The bad news about Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi’s expanding constitutional powers in Egypt is the threat of another dictatorship in Egypt. The good news is that normal politics is returning to Egypt after decades of brutal authoritarian regimes.
Recent mass demonstrations in support of and opposition to Morsi’s new draft constitution [...]
via IPS News
This week’s decision by the Bahraini court of appeals to uphold the prison terms against Bahraini opposition activists is a travesty of justice and an indication that Bahraini repression continues unabated.
Bahraini officials, when confronted with angry world reaction to the court’s decision, cynically hid behind the claim they would [...]
- Analysis: The Role of the Free Press in Sustainable Development
- Mideast: 1 in 3 Bribe to Access Basic Public Services
- Indian Women Worst Hit by Water Crisis
- The Family Garden Going Out of Style in Cuban Countryside
- Odd Situation in the “Paradise” of Press Freedom
- Democratic Corruption
- Free Press a Casualty of Pakistan’s Terror War
- Grilled for a Retweet: Press Freedom in Kenya
- Africa, Caribbean, Pacific Nations Prepare for Upcoming Summit in Papua New Guinea
- Black Colombian Activists Continue Our Struggle For Rights