by Jim Lobe
via IPS News
As the administration of President Barack Obama continues wrestling with how to react to the military coup in Egypt and its bloody aftermath, officials and independent analysts are increasingly worried about the crisis’s effect on U.S. ties with Saudi Arabia.
The oil-rich kingdom’s strong support [...]
by Henry Precht
When General Amr Ibn al-As captured Egypt for Islam in 640, he sent this message to his commander:
I give you Egypt, its fields are ever green, its Nile is ever flowing and its people are the slaves of whoever would rule them.
That description held true for the [...]
by Daniel Luban
For the last few weeks, Lobelog has been noting the continued disagreements among US neoconservatives over how to respond to the military coup in Egypt, with a few prominent neocons such as Robert Kagan denouncing it while many others are supporting it and calling on [...]
by Mitchell Plitnick
The comedy of errors that is US involvement in Egypt is reaching new heights. The Obama administration continues to be torn by conflicting preferences and concerns. This week its blunders reached new heights after it blessed the trip of Republican Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham to Egypt. The [...]
by Mitchell Plitnick
When is a coup not a coup? When calling it that carries repercussions that make a bad situation worse.
US President Barack Obama is struggling with recent events in Egypt. Once again he’s presented with a situation in the Middle East where he has few good options but is [...]
- Hong Kong Protests: A Peaceful and Violent Weekend
- Two Million Children in West and Central Africa Robbed of an Education Due to Conflict
- Amazon Fires Heat Up Political Crisis in Brazil
- Little Hope of Justice for Rohingya, Two Years after Exodus
- G7 Leaders Urged to Promote Gender Empowerment
- How Tibet has Successfully Reduced Poverty
- Why Can’t Dynamic Asia-Pacific Beat Poverty?
- How to Bring the Indus Delta Back to Life – Give it Water
- The Syrian Tragedy
- A ‘Cure’ for Ebola but Will it Stop the Outbreak if People Won’t Get Treatment?