by Emile Nakhleh
The summary mass trial and conviction of 529 Egyptians to death this week is yet another example of Egypt’s descent into lawlessness and blatant miscarriage of justice. The rushed decision showed no respect for the most basic standards of due process under the military dictatorship.
The Egyptian court spent less than a [...]
by Henry Precht
I wonder if it might help to puzzle out where the army might be taking Egypt in the period ahead if we think back to the Iranian revolution and the military’s role therein.
Old timers will recall that as Iran’s revolution gathered force, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the last Shah [...]
by Jim Lobe
If one thing has become clear in the wake of last week’s military coup d’etat against Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, it’s that democracy promotion is not a core principle of neoconservatism. Unlike protecting Israeli security and preserving its military superiority over any and all possible regional challenges (which is [...]
by Mitchell Plitnick
When is a coup not a coup? When calling it that carries repercussions that make a bad situation worse.
US President Barack Obama is struggling with recent events in Egypt. Once again he’s presented with a situation in the Middle East where he has few good options but is [...]
by Daniel Luban
Charles Krauthammer, July 1, denouncing the Obama administration for refusing to speak out against Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi:
“Obama the bystander again. Here are the Egyptians in the millions, out on the street, trying to bring down an Islamist government — increasingly dictatorial, increasingly intolerant, arresting journalists and [...]
by Emile Nakhleh
via IPS News
The military’s removal of democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi poses a serious challenge to Washington’s pro-democracy agenda and its ability to influence events in Egypt and the rest of the region.
The Barack Obama administration should make it clear to Egyptian Secretary of Defence [...]
- Refugees Face Often Neglected Mental Health Challenges – Report
- Rural Systems Mitigate Impact of Overuse of Water in Chile
- A World in Crisis Needs Both Trade and Aid
- Stagflation: From Tragedy to Farce
- Afghan Refugees, Medical Visitors Bemoan Treatment in Pakistan
- Gender Equality & Women’s Rights Wiped out Under the Taliban
- Journalism Under Attack by Neo-Populist Governments in Central America
- Education Cannot Wait Proud to Participate in Global Citizen Festival 2022: Calling on World Leaders and Donors to Empower Girls and End Extreme Poverty Now
- The Hunger Factory (II): The Modern Horsemen of the Apocalypse
- ECW Interviews Three Inspiring #Youth4EiE Advocates on International Youth Day