by Jim Lobe In perhaps his boldest foreign policy move during his presidency, Barack Obama Wednesday announced that he intends to establish full diplomatic relations with Cuba. While the president noted that he lacked the authority to lift the 54-year-old trade embargo against Havana, he issued directives that will permit more American citizens to travel
via IPS News
Anti-Western protests across the Arab Islamic world denouncing the anti-Islam video, reportedly produced in the United States, is a serious test for the new democratic governments in Egypt, Tunisia, Libya, Yemen, and elsewhere.
It is time for the new Arab democracies to explain to their peoples publicly and forcefully that [...]
via Lobe Log
Lobe Log publishes Hawks on Iran every Friday. Our posts highlight militaristic commentary and confrontational policy recommendations about Iran from a variety of sources including news articles, think tanks and pundits.
Charles Krauthammer, Washington Post: The neoconservative pundit attacks the Obama administration for not aligning its “red line” [...]
via Lobe Log
News and views relevant to US foreign policy for Sept. 12
“U.S. ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack”: Reuters reports that the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, was killed yesterday along with three of his staff when protestors and heavily-armed Islamist militiamen stormed the embassy compound and a [...]
By Bryan Gibson
via The Majalla
Recently, the Canadian government severed ties with Iran, citing threats to its diplomats in Tehran. While Israel has hailed the decision as a “clarion call to action”, few Canadian diplomats are convinced.
It is not too often that I find myself nodding in agreement with the rhetoric [...]
- Freezing Inside UAE’s High Rise Buildings While Temperatures Soar Outside
- First Steps Towards a Global Agreement on the High Seas
- Unfinished Business – Nurture entrepreneurs, connect the dots between youth, innovation, and jobs toward green growth
- Indigenous Peoples Link Their Development to Clean Energies
- Levelling the Playing Field for Persons with Disabilities in the United States
- UN Expects More Upheavals as Trump’s Foreign Policy Runs Wild
- The Cambodian Port City on China’s 21st Century Silk Road That’s Becoming the New Macau
- FNC Parliamentary Division affirms UAE’s leading role in attaining 2030 SDGs
- Bill Gates thanks UAE for role in the fight to end world poverty
- UN Agencies Launch Environmental Protection and Resilience Project for Host Communities and Refugees in Bangladesh