via Lobe Log
By Richard Sale
I believe that delisting the Mujahadeen-e Khalq (MEK) from the US foreign terrorist organizations (FTO) list is in every way reprehensible. I realize that all US public officials, especially the president, are involved in systems of necessity and that without satisfying those necessities, their hold on power wouldn’t [...]
via Lobe Log
By Leila Kashefi
As everyone knows, since the revolution of 1979, the United States and the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI) have been BEFs — best enemies forever. While the US occasionally offers its solidarity to the people of Iran and criticizes the regime’s human rights record, its [...]
via Lobe Log
Jim Lobe and I wrote a report yesterday for IPS News about the expected US decision to delist the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq (aka MEK, PMOI and NCRI) from its foreign terrorist organizations (FTO) list. Most analysts we interviewed predicted that the removal would only worsen already abysmal relations with Iran and possibly make [...]
By Jim Lobe and Jasmin Ramsey
via IPS News
In a move certain to ratchet up already-high tensions with Iran, the administration of President Barack Obama will remove a militant anti-regime group from the State Department’s terrorism list, U.S. officials told reporters here Friday.
The decision, which is expected to be formally announced before Oct. [...]
Reposted by arrangement with Think Progress
By Ali Gharib and Zaid Jilani
Former U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-RI) told ThinkProgress he was paid $25,000 to speak at a rally to remove a controversial Iranian exiled opposition group from the U.S. terrorist rolls after previously not saying if he was paid.
News and views relevant to U.S.-Iran relations for November 5, 2010.
Foreign Policy: Josh Rogin, writing on Foreign Policy’s The Cable blog, reports that Heritage Action for America, the lobbying arms of the conservative Heritage Foundation, is sending out mailers to Republican senators, urging them to vote against the New START treaty with [...]
- Innovation for Climate-Smart Agriculture Key to Ending Hunger in Kenya
- Austrian Elections: The Crisis of Europe Continues
- Cycles of Wealth in Brazil’s Amazon: Gold, Lumber, Cattle and Now, Energy
- Global Interfaith LGBTIQ Leaders Convene at UN for Expert-level Dialogue
- Good Men Should Not be Quiet Spectators in Sexual Assaults
- World Campaign to Clean Torrents of Plastic Dumped in the Oceans
- UN Migration Chief Ends Visit to Bangladesh as Bleak Picture Emerges of Rohingya Settlements
- Can Index Insurance Make African Farmers Climate-resilient?
- Mexican Immigrants Help Sustain Two Economies – and Are Discarded
- Global Campaign to Smoke Out Tobacco Firms from UN Body