by Marsha B. Cohen
Reuven Rivlin has just been elected Israel’s 10th president. A member of Israel’s parliamentary body since 1988, he served as Speaker of the Knesset from 2003-06 and again from 2009-13. Today, Israel’s parliamentarians, by secret ballot, elected him to a 7-year term after two rounds of voting.
A native [...]
via IPS News
by Robert E. Hunter
President Barack Obama spent three days in the Near East, a whirlwind visit like a genie from the Arabian Nights, kicking up dust and making his presence felt. But what did he achieve?
Two substantive matters stand out: $200 million promised to the King of Jordan to [...]
The Goldstone Report: The Legacy Of The Landmark Investigation Of The Gaza Conflict edited by Adam Horowitz, Lizzy Ratner, and Philip Weiss; foreword by Desmond Tutu, introduction by Naomi Klein, Nation Books, 2011. 449 pp., $18.95 (paperback).
The Israeli attack on Gaza in December 2008/January 2009 and the subsequent investigation [...]
News and views relevant to U.S.-Iran relations for September 22.
Politico: Former Amb. Stuart Eizenstat and Mark Brzezinski, a former Clinton NSC official and Obama campaign adviser, write an opinion piece raising the curtain on the upcoming National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Iran. They call the 2007 NIE, which said Iran had halted [...]
News and Views Relevant to U.S.-Iran relations for August 17th, 2010:
The National: Michael Theodoulou reports that new sanctions will exacerbate corruption and mismanagement in Iran’s economy but do little to change Tehran’s nuclear policy. However, the sanctions could give the White House the “political space” domestically to attempt engagement again, said Sir Richard [...]
It’s quite obvious why Israelis would be pleased with the choice of outgoing Colombian President Alvaro Uribe as Vice Chair of the UN panel appointed by Ban Ki-Moon to investigate Israel’s interception of the Gaza flotilla on May 31. What’s in it for the Turks?
- Kerala Covid-19 Response Model for Emulation
- 10 Ways Young People are Leading the Way Against COVID-19
- Alive Amidst the Mayhem of COVID-19 – A Sex Worker’s Story
- Covid-19 & its Impact on the Work of Disarmament
- The Fierce Urgency of Now
- Helping the homeless of Rome combat COVID-19
- Killer of Slovak Journalist Sentenced as Rights Groups Await further Convictions
- The old normal is ending
- What Journalists Should Know About Coronavirus Cellphone Tracking
- Asia-Pacific Response to COVID-19 and Climate Emergency Must Build a Resilient and Sustainable Future