via Lobe Log
by Charles Davis
US President Barack Obama today condemned the Guantanamo Bay prison camp run by US President Barack Obama, channeling the moral outrage last heard on the 2008 campaign trail.
“The idea that we would still detain forever a group of individuals that have not been tried, that is contrary [...]
On January 11th, 11 years to the day after the Bush administration opened itsnotorious prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Zero Dark Thirty, Kathryn Bigelow’s deeply flawed movie about the hunt for Osama bin Laden, opens nationwide. The filmmakers and distributors are evidently ignorant of [...]
via Lobe Log
In the wake of President Obama’s decisive election victory, we’ve seen a fair amount of commentary about how it demonstrates the powerlessness, or spinelessness, of the anti-war left. Some of this commentary (like this piece by Jason Brennan) comes from libertarians and anti-interventionists who are genuinely concerned about Obama’s [...]
via IPS News
Several critical issues of unfinished business in the Middle East face President Barack Obama as he begins his second term. Washington must become more engaged come January because these issues will directly impact regional stability and security and U.S. interests and personnel in the region.
The issues include the Syrian [...]
via Lobe Log
Almost immediately after the bombing of a Bulgarian bus filled with Israeli tourists in the resort city of Burgas that killed at least 5 Israelis and injured dozens of people, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu identified the perpetrator(s) as having carried out the attack at the behest of Iran.
Reposted by arrangement with Tom Dispatch
The Saved and the Sacked
Is it too soon to speak of the Bush-Obama presidency?
The record shows impressive continuities between the two administrations, and nowhere more than in the policy of “force projection” in the Arab world. With one war half-ended [...]
Posted with permission of Think Progress
The Obama administration’s transfer of a Somalian terrorism suspect to New York for trial in civilian courts after two months of secret detention and interrogation aboard a naval ship brought down a harsh conservative response. Among the chief critics, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said the administration [...]
- Puerto Rico’s Green Crusaders Still Going Strong
- OPINION: On Reproductive Rights, Progress with Concerns
- Vaca Muerta, Argentina’s New Development Frontier
- Zimbabwe’s Family Planning Dilemma
- OPINION: A Roadmap to Living – and Thriving – in Harmony with Nature
- Boosting Incomes and Empowering Rural Women in Cuba
- From Subsistence to Profit, Swazi Farmers Get a Helping Hand
- Lack of Accountability Fuels Gender-Based Violence in India
- U.S. to Create National Plan on Responsible Business Practices
- Outgunned by Rich Polluters, Africa to Bring United Front to Climate Talks