by Wayne White As 2014 draws to a close, there is no shortage of alternative suggestions about how to defeat the Islamic State (ISIS or IS). Most of them involve US escalation, driven by exaggerated notions of IS capabilities. Retaking IS’s extensive holdings will, however, take some time. All do acknowledge that regional coalition members
by Wayne White Once again American observers are outbidding each other over how serious a threat the Islamic State (ISIS or IS) poses. Recent IS gains in Iraq heightened Washington’s concern, causing President Obama to huddle with coalition defense ministers. In this air of heightened crisis, the option of deploying US combat troops has been
by Emile Nakhleh In a speech before the United Nations on Wednesday, President Barack Obama offered a rhetorically eloquent roadmap on how to fight the Islamic State (ISIL or ISIS) in Iraq and Syria. He called on Muslim youth to reject the extremist ideology of ISIS and al-Qaeda and work toward a more promising future.
by Shireen T. Hunter
Nouri al-Maliki is no longer Iraq’s prime minister, but his departure does not mean that Iraq’s problems will be resolved easily or soon. A basic change must first occur in Iraq’s domestic politics, the power struggles within its different ethnic and sectarian components, and the behavior of regional and international actors [...]
by Julien Barnes-Dacey
The designation of Haider al-Abadi as the new prime minister of Iraq is a significant step toward opposing the Islamic State if his premiership can be secured and fulfils the potential to create an urgently needed cross-sectarian coalition against the jihadist group.
However, a fundamental ingredient is still missing in [...]
- Seeing Through the Smog: Can New Delhi Find a Way to Limit Air Pollution?
- Climate Change and Loss of Species: Our Greatest Challenges
- “Transformational Benefits” of Ending Outdoor Defecation
- Bringing Silicon Valley to Kathmandu Valley
- The Ocean in Us: Ocean Action for Climate Ambition
- Africa is Better Placed Than Ever for Investment
- Net Food Importer Turkey Grapples with Challenges of Food Self-sufficiency
- ICC Gives Greenlight for Probe into Violent Crimes Against Rohingya
- Dangers and Questions of the Zuckerberg Era
- Summary Report on the event of GGGW2019