via IPS News
Ending a long and controversial battle, the U.S. Senate Tuesday voted 58-41 to confirm former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel as President Barack Obama’s new secretary of defence.
The confirmation, which followed a more-lopsided 71-27 vote to end a Republican-led filibuster against the decorated Vietnam War veteran, broke mainly along party lines, [...]
via Lobe Log
The Military-Industrial Complex Strikes Back
Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative. Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose.
– Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 17, 1961
Barely a week after the 53rd anniversary of President Dwight [...]
via Lobe Log
AIPAC comes knocking with a pro-Israel letter, and ‘then you’ll get 80 to 90 senators on it. I don’t think I’ve ever signed one of the letters.’
When someone would accuse him of not being pro-Israel because he didn’t sign the letter, Hagel told me he responds: “‘I didn’t sign the [...]
- More U.N. States Quietly Say No to Drug War
- Orphaned by Poverty
- Staff Accuses U.N. of Violating Human Rights
- Mandela, Pacifist or Rebel?
- Number 1
- Free Expression Another Casualty of Sanctions
- When Families Fear “Human Services”
- AIDS-Free Generation Still a Dream in Southern Africa
- OP-ED: What Europe Must Do for Syrian Refugees
- Poll Finds Iranians Sceptical of Rouhani Government