by Jim Lobe
The latest issue of the New Yorker features a lengthy article by Connie Bruck on the recent travails of AIPAC, especially its unsuccessful efforts since last November to increase sanctions on Iran, and its steady Likudnik drift, which has increasingly alienated its more liberal and Democratic supporters in Congress.
via IPS News
Ending a long and controversial battle, the U.S. Senate Tuesday voted 58-41 to confirm former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel as President Barack Obama’s new secretary of defence.
The confirmation, which followed a more-lopsided 71-27 vote to end a Republican-led filibuster against the decorated Vietnam War veteran, broke mainly along party lines, [...]
via Lobe Log
The Military-Industrial Complex Strikes Back
Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative. Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose.
– Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 17, 1961
Barely a week after the 53rd anniversary of President Dwight [...]
via Lobe Log
AIPAC comes knocking with a pro-Israel letter, and ‘then you’ll get 80 to 90 senators on it. I don’t think I’ve ever signed one of the letters.’
When someone would accuse him of not being pro-Israel because he didn’t sign the letter, Hagel told me he responds: “‘I didn’t sign the [...]
- Migration Should Not be Politicized, Warns General Assembly President
- Crowd-Sourced Data and a Mobile Phone Application Are Making Cities Safer for Women
- THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING ASMA – Fragmented Memories
- A Step Towards the Light: Ending Human Trafficking
- Ban Ki-moon Elected President and Chair of GGGI
- African Brain Drain: Is There an Alternative?
- Chairman of the Geneva Centre: “Refugee and Migrant Crisis Must Not Become the Symbol of Denial of Social Justice to People on the Move”
- Vision 2030 & the Political Costs of Saudi Reforms – Part 2
- The United States: Innovation and Immobility
- Dr. Ban Ki-moon, 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations, Elected as President and Chair of GGGI