via IPS News
Ending a long and controversial battle, the U.S. Senate Tuesday voted 58-41 to confirm former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel as President Barack Obama’s new secretary of defence.
The confirmation, which followed a more-lopsided 71-27 vote to end a Republican-led filibuster against the decorated Vietnam War veteran, broke mainly along party lines, [...]
via Lobe Log
The Military-Industrial Complex Strikes Back
Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative. Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose.
– Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 17, 1961
Barely a week after the 53rd anniversary of President Dwight [...]
via Lobe Log
AIPAC comes knocking with a pro-Israel letter, and ‘then you’ll get 80 to 90 senators on it. I don’t think I’ve ever signed one of the letters.’
When someone would accuse him of not being pro-Israel because he didn’t sign the letter, Hagel told me he responds: “‘I didn’t sign the [...]
- Explosives Shatter Lives in Kashmir
- Has Caribbean Diplomacy Lost Its Mojo?
- Nuclear Iran Unlikely to Tilt Regional Power Balance – Report
- Videla Dies in Prison – a Victory Against Impunity
- U.S.-Russia Nuclear Arsenals Cling to Bygone Era
- Film on Sexual Abuse Wins at Colombia-Venezuela Festival
- Official Bullying Lurks Behind Prep for Olympics in Brazil
- Pioneering Italian Town Leads Europe in Waste Recycling
- Civil Society Under Attack Around the World
- Migratory “Flyways” Decimated by Human Expansion