Though the big winter holidays are behind us, we are now looking toward another year filled with birthdays and many other celebrations. Most of these are centered around the exchange of gifts, which presents us with the same dilemma we faced in December: We really don’t want to engorge ourselves in mindless purchasing of empty [...]
Our colleague Emad Mekay has a piece on Egyptian labor in today’s International Herald Tribune, the global edition of the New York Times.
The role of labor was crucial in Egyptians’ popular efforts to oust Hosni Mubarak, perhaps the bale of straw that broke the U.S.-supported dictator’s back. Naturally, organizers and activists are glowing. But will [...]
- Providing Practical Support for UN Projects
- UN Resolution on Journalist Safety Passed, But Long Way to Go
- My Hawai’i Commitment
- Industrialization for a Sustainable Future
- To Effectively Combat Climate Change, Involve Women
- Wave Energy on the Horizon in the Pacific Islands
- A New ‘enemy’
- Take a Deep Breath? But 9 in 10 People Worldwide Live with Excessive Air Pollution!
- Murders, Crackdown Create Lingering Climate of Fear in Bangladesh
- Development as Human Right: An Unfulfilled Promise to Billions