by Thomas W. Lippman
It was like a movie in which different characters see the same events in completely different ways.
At one of those Washington think-tank panel discussions the other day, senior U.S. national security and military officials insisted that the American commitment to security and stability in the [...]
by Derek Davison
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain all recalled their ambassadors from Qatar last Wednesday, citing Qatar’s support for organizations and individuals that threaten “the security and stability of the Gulf states”:
The statement said they had withdrawn their envoys “to protect their security” because Qatar failed to fulfill vows [...]
by Emile Nakhleh
Yesterday’s public announcement by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain that they’re withdrawing their ambassadors from Qatar signals a serious rift within the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). The seismic regional changes that have occurred since the establishment of the GCC 33 years ago will likely torpedo [...]
by Shawn Amoei
Addressing an annual gathering of IRGC officials, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei spoke of the necessity for “heroic flexibility” in diplomacy. President Hassan Rouhani welcomed a Russian proposal aimed at eliminating Syria’s nuclear weapons. Rouhani spoke of repairing relations with Saudi Arabia on Thursday, saying, “This issue has [...]
Since late January, when the White House decided there would be advantage in reverting to a policy of engagement after having acquired political cover in the form of additional sanctions, the possibility of direct talks between the United States and Iran has been in the air.
Direct talks have been a rarity since 1979. But [...]
Matt Duss at Think Progress picks up on Carnegie Endowment expert Karim Sadjadpour‘s Financial Times piece yesterday to point out that military containment won’t work against as a strategy against a country — Iran — that garners regional clout through political maneuvering.
Duss also takes note of another great point from Sadjadpour: [...]
- Kerala Covid-19 Response Model for Emulation
- 10 Ways Young People are Leading the Way Against COVID-19
- Alive Amidst the Mayhem of COVID-19 – A Sex Worker’s Story
- Covid-19 & its Impact on the Work of Disarmament
- The Fierce Urgency of Now
- Helping the homeless of Rome combat COVID-19
- Killer of Slovak Journalist Sentenced as Rights Groups Await further Convictions
- The old normal is ending
- What Journalists Should Know About Coronavirus Cellphone Tracking
- Asia-Pacific Response to COVID-19 and Climate Emergency Must Build a Resilient and Sustainable Future