by Mark N. Katz What a difference a few months make. During much of 2014, Russian President Vladimir Putin was riding high. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine quickly and relatively bloodlessly. Putin was also able to help pro-Russian forces in eastern Ukraine effectively secede from the rest of the country and prevent the Ukrainian government
via Lobe Log
During his first Press Conference today following his successful second-term campaign, President Barak Obama emphasized that the United States wants to peacefully resolve the tense dispute over the Islamic Republic’s controversial nuclear program (the US is reportedly considering a more-for-more negotiating strategy) but denied that talks are “imminent”. Importantly, he didn’t reject [...]
via Lobe Log
Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta’s trip to the Middle East last week included reassuring Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in person, that the U.S. was committed to preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon — the U.S.’s “red line” on Iran. Panetta reiterated the U.S.’s position, essentially point by point, at [...]
- Opinion: Ending Child Marriage – What Difference Can a Summit Make?
- Better Nutrition for Better Lives
- Uganda, Tanzania Need Gender Sensitive Climate Change Policies
- Drought Threatens Water-Truck Lifeline in Parched Northeast Brazil
- Women Suffer Psychological Problems After Living Under Taliban
- Terrorism Index Shows Nine-Fold Increase Since 2000
- World’s Poorest Nations Battle Rising Rural Poverty
- Climate Refugees and a Collapsing City
- From Darkness to Light: Dramatic Rescue of Tanzanian Miners Trapped 41 Days in Rubble
- Did Argentina’s Elections Mark Start of Shift to the Right in South America?