by Mark N. Katz What a difference a few months make. During much of 2014, Russian President Vladimir Putin was riding high. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine quickly and relatively bloodlessly. Putin was also able to help pro-Russian forces in eastern Ukraine effectively secede from the rest of the country and prevent the Ukrainian government
via Lobe Log
During his first Press Conference today following his successful second-term campaign, President Barak Obama emphasized that the United States wants to peacefully resolve the tense dispute over the Islamic Republic’s controversial nuclear program (the US is reportedly considering a more-for-more negotiating strategy) but denied that talks are “imminent”. Importantly, he didn’t reject [...]
via Lobe Log
Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta’s trip to the Middle East last week included reassuring Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in person, that the U.S. was committed to preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon — the U.S.’s “red line” on Iran. Panetta reiterated the U.S.’s position, essentially point by point, at [...]
- Worrying about Fake News Has Become All the Rage
- No Trace of the Nicaraguan Interoceanic Canal
- How to Undermine Democracy – Curtail Civil Society Rights
- No One is Left Behind
- Long Way to Go for Indigenous Rights Protection
- Indigenous Peoples – Best Allies or Worst Enemies?
- With an Eye on Electoral Violence, Kenya Keeps Tight Rein on Media
- Has Trump pulled the trigger for World War III?
- How Feminists Have Catapulted Women to National Leadership Roles
- Fate of Earth Must Not be Decided by US & Fellow Nuclear States