by Mitchell Plitnick The media in Israel is abuzz with the news that Tzipi Livni will bring her Ha’Tnuah party into a joint ticket with the much larger Labor party. Now there is a tandem that can outpoll Likud, they are saying. The Israeli center just might be able to assert itself in this election.
by Mitchell Plitnick The Israeli government is headed for yet another round of elections. Although the official election date for the next Knesset is November 7, 2017, no one ever expected this government to last that long. The voting will likely take place in March of 2015. What do the new elections mean outside of Israel?
by Mitchell Plitnick
They were dueling op-eds, one in the New York Times and the other in the Jewish communal magazine, Tablet. The question being bandied between them was whether Israel is becoming a theocracy. Not surprisingly, both pieces missed the mark. It’s not theocracy but unbridled nationalism that is the threat [...]
via Lobe Log
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pulled an “October surprise” out of his hat when he announced his Likud party would form a joint list in the upcoming election with Avigdor Lieberman’s fascist Yisrael Beiteinu party. This is more of a partnership than a merger, but it has profound implications.
via Lobe Log
This weekend brought news of the latest set of inflammatory comments by Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, spiritual leader of Shas — the ultra-Orthodox party that is currently the fourth largest party in Israel’s Knesset. Yosef — whose previous statements regarding Arabs and Gentiles have drawn similar controversy — said [...]
- G5 Sahel Summit: African Development Bank, partners, commit to light up and power the Sahel with the Desert to Power initiative
- Three Questions to Wale Shonibare, Acting VP, Power, Energy, Climate & Green Growth
- UNAIDS and WHO Africa Leaders Should Prioritize Women’s Health
- Translating Ambition to Action: High Hopes for United Nations Action Week
- AfDB ‘s Solar Project Aims at Making Africa a Renewable Power House
- A New World? Are the Americas Returning to Old Problems?
- Big Power Conflicts are Increasingly Taking Place in Outer Space
- Calls for Reform, Research and Reorganisation in Leprosy Healthcare
- Ministers Call for Coalition to scale up land restoration massively worldwide
- The Push for Peace-From the Global Village to the Global Neighborhood