by Robert E. Hunter
Turnover in top US foreign policy and national security jobs can often be a “good thing” — for the nation and the world. New brooms at least start out with a different look at the world, its problems, challenges to the United States, and choices about what to do.
This also [...]
by Jim Lobe
via IPS News
In a reshuffle of top foreign policy posts in his second term, U.S. President Barack Obama Wednesday announced that his controversial and blunt-spoken U.N. ambassador, Susan Rice, will replace Tom Donilon as his national security adviser.
He also announced that another longtime aide on the [...]
This post originally appeared at Souciant.
Martin Dempsey is not a popular man in the halls of the Israeli Prime Minister’s office these days. The Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff incurred the wrath of Benjamin Netanyahu by pointing out the obvious: an Israeli attack on Iran would have dire consequences.
On November 22, Thomas Donilon, the National Security Advisor for the Obama Administration and by some accounts the President’s foreign policy guru delivered what was considered a seminal speech at the Brookings Institute on the administration’s Iran policy. The rationale for the speech was two-fold: to deflect GOP criticism of Obama’s Iran policy as being too [...]
The Iranian opposition movement, having gone underground since the 2009 crackdown, appears to be trying to leverage the successes (thus far) of the Egyptian protest movement into a breath of fresh air for their own aspirations.
The Iranian authorities are not happy. They’re dismissing the protesters as “rioters” before they’ve even had a chance [...]
Guardiano, a contributor to neoconservative blogs and former Marine, derides Donilon’s ability to competently focus on Iran:
Donilon may not know [...]
- “Their Hope for a Brighter Future Inspires Us All”
- President Biden Refuses to Make our Climate Crisis Worse
- “Teach Us How to Become Carpenters” – South Sudanese Want to Shape Their Future
- Fiji’s Presidency of the Human Rights Council Brings Opportunity and Responsibility to the Pacific
- Protecting Mental Health of Families in a Pandemic
- Q&A: Why we Must Invest in Educating Children in Crisis-Hit Burkina Faso
- Personal Testimonies, Pledges Mark the Start of the ‘Fair Share to End Child Labour’ Campaign
- Biden’s Arms Control Ambitions are Welcome—but Delivering Them will not be Easy
- With a War-Mongering President Gone, is the World Safe from Nuclear Brinkmanship?
- Will Biden Administration Respond to the Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, End Threat of a Nuclear War & Bring Nuclear-armed States Together to Achieve Global Nuclear Disarmament?