Does the selection of Iran’s nuclear czar as its new (interim) foreign minister say anything about nuclear negotiations between Iran and the West? We don’t really know, and given that the next round of talks is only a month away, we might not know until news breaks from Istanbul.
Let’s get caught up with [...]
Five Senators sent a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama on Monday warning the administration not to offer concessions in upcoming talks with Iran over its nuclear program. If Obama takes the advice, experts say, it could sink his engagement efforts with Tehran.
At a release event for the U.S. Institute of Peace’s (USIP) Iran Primer: Power, Politics and U.S. Power – an exhaustive collection of new writings on the country — the opening address came from Dennis Ross, a top national security adviser to President Barack Obama on the Mid East.
Ross is an influential adviser to [...]
Columbia professor and Iran expert Gary Sick offers a simple reason why U.S. President Barack Obama’s engagement plan with Iran has thus far failed: “It has yet to be tried.”
News and Views Relevant to U.S.-Iran relations for August 17th, 2010:
The National: Michael Theodoulou reports that new sanctions will exacerbate corruption and mismanagement in Iran’s economy but do little to change Tehran’s nuclear policy. However, the sanctions could give the White House the “political space” domestically to attempt engagement again, said Sir Richard [...]
This week saw the publication of a two-part hit piece in Tablet magazine purporting to expose the machinations of the “Iran lobby” in Washington. The author, Lee Smith, is apparently not the great baseball closer, but rather a former reporter for Bill Kristol‘s Weekly Standard and a current fellow at [...]
- An Ineffective Mexico, in the Face of Maritime Pollution
- The Decline and Fall of Democracy Worldwide
- IMF Led Privatization, Land and Resource Grab in Sri Lanka
- Excessive & Unfair Criticism of Human Rights Violations in Qatar
- India’s Extensive Railways Often Conduit for Child Trafficking
- Working Together for an Inclusive World
- Global Risks in 2022: The Year of Colliding Consequences
- This Planet Is Drying Up. And these Are the Consequences
- Egypt Racing to Supply Wind, Solar Energy to Greece, EU via Submarine Cables
- Illegal Immigration: A Mounting Global Crisis