by Emile Nakhleh
Does repression force Islamic parties to moderate? This is the key question Shadi Hamid raises in his seminal book on political Islam, governance, and Islamist “illiberal” democratic ideology.
Temptations of Power: Islamists & Illiberal Democracy In a New Middle East is a first-rate, thorough, yet controversial study of what drives [...]
via Lobe Log
When I was living in Cairo, the transition to winter was sometimes smooth. The beastly oven of summer changed slowly into a bearable fall of cool-warm. The fall moved from the cool-warm to a few weeks of cold, or at least what was cold to Egypt. These were smooth changes. It [...]
- Rural Poverty? Cooperatives!
- Global Devaluation of Work Drives Up Unemployment in Brazil
- “Torture Works” — in All the Wrong Ways
- The High Cost of Ageing
- “Black Soils” – Excessive Use of Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, Mercury…
- The World Is Burning
- World Poverty Could Be Cut in Half If All Adults Completed Secondary Education
- UN Response Teams Underfunded as Costs Hit Staggering $23.5 Billion
- “Big Reflection” Needed on Opioid Crisis
- No Wall for Ethiopia, Rather an Open Door—Even for Its Enemy