by Emile Nakhleh
Does repression force Islamic parties to moderate? This is the key question Shadi Hamid raises in his seminal book on political Islam, governance, and Islamist “illiberal” democratic ideology.
Temptations of Power: Islamists & Illiberal Democracy In a New Middle East is a first-rate, thorough, yet controversial study of what drives [...]
via Lobe Log
When I was living in Cairo, the transition to winter was sometimes smooth. The beastly oven of summer changed slowly into a bearable fall of cool-warm. The fall moved from the cool-warm to a few weeks of cold, or at least what was cold to Egypt. These were smooth changes. It [...]
- Ethiopia to Return Land in Bid for Peace with Eritrea
- Brazil’s Agricultural Heavyweight Status Undermines Food Supply
- Now is Not the Time to Give up on the People of DRC
- Europe, Sharing the Love?
- UAE drives discussion at annual UN Conference on rights of People of Determination
- IOM Urges Restraint, Calls for Protection of Migrants in Hodeidah Operation
- You Are More Powerful than You Think!
- Is there Gender Parity & Reverse Sexual Harassment at UN?
- Farmers from Central America and Brazil Join Forces to Live with Drought
- From Fake News to a Fake Death