by Emile Nakhleh
Does repression force Islamic parties to moderate? This is the key question Shadi Hamid raises in his seminal book on political Islam, governance, and Islamist “illiberal” democratic ideology.
Temptations of Power: Islamists & Illiberal Democracy In a New Middle East is a first-rate, thorough, yet controversial study of what drives [...]
via Lobe Log
When I was living in Cairo, the transition to winter was sometimes smooth. The beastly oven of summer changed slowly into a bearable fall of cool-warm. The fall moved from the cool-warm to a few weeks of cold, or at least what was cold to Egypt. These were smooth changes. It [...]
- Can the SDGs be financed?
- France Hosts Major Exhibition on Jamaican Music
- The Challenge Ahead: Harnessing Gene Editing to Sustainable Agriculture
- Late to Walk
- How to Stir up a Refugee Crisis in Five Steps, Trump Style
- Sri Lanka’s Small Tea Farmers Turn Sustainable Land Managers
- Syrian Regime Survives on Russian Arms & UN Vetoes
- Costa Rican Town Fears That the Sea Will Steal Its Shiny New Face
- Caribbean Faces Forecast for Prolonged Drought
- UN to Investigate Violations Against Rohingya