via Lobe Log
Renowned international relations theorist John Mearsheimer writes in the London Review of Books:
So what is going on here? At the most basic level, Israel’s actions in Gaza are inextricably bound up with its efforts to create a Greater Israel that stretches from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea. Despite the endless palaver about a two-state solution, the Palestinians are not going to get their own state, not least because the Netanyahu government is firmly opposed to it. The prime minister and his political allies are deeply committed to making the Occupied Territories a permanent part of Israel. To pull this off, the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza will be forced to live in impoverished enclaves similar to the Bantustans in white-ruled South Africa. Israeli Jews understand this quite well: a recent survey found that 58 per cent of them believe Israel already practises apartheid against the Palestinians.
Creating a Greater Israel will produce even bigger problems, however. In addition to doing enormous damage to Israel’s reputation around the world, the quest for a Greater Israel will not break the will of the Palestinians. They remain adamantly opposed not only to the Occupation, but also to the idea of living in an apartheid state. They will continue to resist Israel’s efforts to deny them self-determination. What is happening in Gaza is one dimension of that resistance. Another is Mahmoud Abbas’s plan to ask the UN General Assembly on 29 November to recognise Palestine as a non-member state. This move worries Israel’s leaders, because it could eventually allow the Palestinians to file charges against Israel before the International Criminal Court. Thus, the dream of a Greater Israel forces Tel Aviv to find ways to keep the Palestinians at bay.
- OPINION: Empowering DR Congo’s Sexual Violence Survivors by Enforcing Reparations
- Cameroon’s Rising Sea Drowns Tourism
- Forest Rights Offer Major Opportunity to Counter Climate Change
- Israel’s U.S.-Made Military Might Overwhelms Palestinians
- ‘Zero Tolerance’ the Call for Child Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation
- Focus on Child Marriage, Genital Mutilation at All-Time High
- Touaregs Seek Secular and Democratic Multi-Ethnic State
- BRICS – The End of Western Dominance of the Global Financial and Economic Order
- CAR With the “Most Abandoned People,” Says Mia Farrow
- U.S., Russia, China Hamper ICC’s Reach