Post – Editor
Organisation – Inter Press Service (IPS) www.ipsnews.net
Location – Asia
IPS is an international news agency that produces news features and analyses about development, the environment and rights. The news agency has a strong focus on developing countries, emerging economies and South-South co-operation.
Overall Purpose of the Job
The editor in Asia will join a global pool of editors based in Africa, Europe, North America and Latin America. The team looks to ensure that IPS has timely stories in line with its broad remit, and that these stories have content and presentation to the highest professional standards.
The main duties are to:
• Nurture and grow the team of contributing writers primarily in Asia-Pacific.
• Work with the editors in chief to ensure that contributing writers are sensitized to IPS priorities, follow the IPS Style Book and generate news stories that are fresh and readable.
• Edit stories to high professional standards.
• Be a team player within the global pool of editors, working across regions as necessary.
• Plan news coverage with writers well in advance, and join the weekly editorial meeting to distribute assignments according to the overall news agenda.
• Collaborate with global colleagues to generate occasional multi-datelined stories.
• Balance the coverage from Asia within overall financial limits and taking full account of issue quotas generated by specific reporting agreements (“projects”).
• Share expertise and advice with IPS colleagues marketing the product and concluding news coverage agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
Candidates with a minimum of five years of editing experience with an established publication are invited to apply. IPS is looking for:
• High quality and tight editing. An ability to produce catchy headlines and inviting leads.
• An ability to rewrite copy when necessary, particularly when working with good writers across the region whose first language may not be English.
• Wide awareness of the political and social situation in many of the countries in the region.
• An ability to anticipate stories with the IPS priorities in mind.
• An ability to edit fast without losing quality.
• A willingness to communicate extensively with writers and to support them in planning stories and to be a team player in a global pool of editors working across time zones.
• Knowledge of Asian languages and expertise within specific field(s) of IPS priorities will be advantages.
• A keen awareness of the needs of developing countries and emerging economies and issues of concern to them.
Depending on experience. Please include your current remuneration in your application letter. The contract for this post will be handled from IPS’s global administrative centre.
To apply please send your CV (max. 2 pages) and a cover letter (max. one page) which systematically outlines why your experience fits the job description and skills requirements. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 15th November. Shortlisted candidates can expect to be contacted by the end of the month.
November 15, 2010More about: Asia & Pacific