CPAC's Islamophobia-Friendly Film Screening Schedule
While Frank Gaffney might be concerned that the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) has “come under the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood,” a list of the films to be screened at the event would suggest that Gaffney’s brand of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim fear-bating will be on full display.
The CPAC agenda has not yet been formally released but a file posted by Citizens United to Scribd, a document sharing service, lists the “CPAC Theater Schedule – Sponsored by Citizens United Productions.” Three of the sixteen films scheduled for screenings are right up Frank Gaffney’s—and CPAC-approved Clifford May’s—alley.
“Iranium”- Ali and I just posted our review of the film on Tehran Bureau. The film is the latest production from the Clarion Fund. Clarion–which appears to be an offshoot of the evangelist, ultra-orthodox, Jerusalem-based Aish-HaTorah– gained notoriety for mailing 28 million copies of “Obsession: Radical Islam’s War Against the West” to swing state voters before the 2008 presidential election. “Iranium” contains similar themes to the Fund’s previous films, suggesting that a clash of civilizations is imminent and that anti-Semitism and irrational hatred toward Israel are key to understanding the anger and frustration voiced by Muslim countries in opposition to the United States.
“America At Risk: The War With No Name” – A Citizens United Production starring Newt and Callista Gingrich. Talking Points Memo’s Rachel Slajda observed that “America at Risk” bears striking similarities to Clarion Fund films. “This is the end of times. This is the final struggle,” intones a narrator in the film’s trailer.
“The Ground Zero Mosque: Second Wave Of The 911 Attack”— The documentary, executive produced by notorious anti-Jihad blogger Pamela Geller along with associate producer Robert Spencer, will document the anti-Park 51 Islamic community center campaign from last summer. The screening will be followed by “a question and action and strategy session on stopping the mosque.”
With films like these being promoted during the three day conference, it seems safe to say that Islamophobia and anti-Muslim propaganda will continue to find a safe haven at CPAC.
From IPS News
- Urgency for a Global Fund for Media & Journalism
- Climate Carnage: Things Can Only Get Worse
- Kenyan Scientist’s Trend-Setting Research into Health Benefits of Snails
- Carbon Tax: A Surprisingly Simple Contribution to Fight Climate Change
- Menstrual Health and Hygiene Is Unaffordable for Poor Girls and Women in Latin America
- How Farmer Producer Organisations Benefit Small Scale Farmers in India
- UN Human Rights Office Remains Under-Funded & Under-Resourced
- Cooperatives in Argentina Help Drive Expansion of Renewable Energy
- Climate Change Gets Its Day in Court
- As Game of Thrones Rages in Sudan, the Neighbors Pay the Price