News and views on U.S.-Iran relations for January 28:
The Atlantic: Jeffrey Goldberg lists his observations on the ongoing events in Egypt and mentions that friends of his, like FDD fellow Reuel Marc Gerecht, advocate that democratically elected Islamist governments might be part of a “long-term process of gradual modernization.” But [...]
Al Jazeera is getting amazing footage from Cairo, where they are continuing to report live, and running recently recorded reports from elsewhere in Egypt. The network’s internet stream is sometimes overloaded but it’s well worth watching if you can get the webpage to load. This is by far the best coverage of the rapidly evolving [...]
I just spoke by landline with Emad Mekay, at home just outside Cairo. Here’s my notes from our brief conversation. I’ll update later if we’re able to get back in touch.
No internet for quite some while.
The mobile phone networks are down. These are private companies; Vodaphone is British.
I didn’t imagine that [...]
Egyptian police started beating up journalists protesting outside the Press Syndicate in downtown Cairo. They beat up women journalists, too, who were screaming and crying for help. “Do not club women. Do not attack women,” some of the men rushed to the police asking them not to target women. “You’ll make things worse if you [...]
As I write this, thousands of Egyptians are demonstrating across the country in what increasingly looks like unrest of unprecedented size and ferocity. The protests saw factory workers, university professors, political activists and even women and teenage girls braving oncoming riot police and taking to the streets across the Egypt. Many were chanting against the [...]
- Poverty Impacts on Efforts to End Child Marriage, say Parliamentarians
- Nepal Government, UN Agency Seek Investors for Latest Cash Crop to Boom in Country’s East
- Climate Action Plans Could Help Address Injustice, Inequity in African Cities
- Hard Hit By Climate Change, Villagers Raise a Forest on Their Own
- Go and Tell the Hungry that Their Food Is Being Thrown in the Garbage
- Measuring Human Rights – PODCAST
- Korean Slums: The Shadows of Society, or the New Light for the Future?
- Reasonable Left, Irresponsible Right: & the Future of Social Democracy
- Deadly Smoke: Feeding Children Kills Cafeteria Staff
- Aged Persons Haunted by Abuse in Zimbabwe