The Iranian opposition movement, having gone underground since the 2009 crackdown, appears to be trying to leverage the successes (thus far) of the Egyptian protest movement into a breath of fresh air for their own aspirations.
The Iranian authorities are not happy. They’re dismissing the protesters as “rioters” before they’ve even had a chance [...]
Earlier this week, I chronicled some of Amb. Dennis Ross‘ interactions with, white-washing of, and seeming affinity for several neoconservative individuals, groups, and ideas. A top Obama administration adviser with an ever-growing portfolio including Iran and, more recently, the Israeli-Arab conflict, Ross usually comes across as a member of the hawkish pro-Israel wing [...]
I was struck by an article by Nathan Guttman in the legendary Jewish Daily Forward about Dennis Ross and George Mitchell jockeying for the position of Obama Administration’s point-person in the Middle East peace process. The whole thing is a fascinating read, but this line really jumped out at me:
Others have [...]
With neo-conservatives, you never know whether their preaching (especially about issues such as human rights or democracy) shows a complete lack of self-consciousness (given their long support for brutal autocracies firmly allied with Israel and/or the United States), genuine amnesia, or shamelessness (chutzpah) of the highest order.
So it is with Elliott Abrams‘ latest [...]
The Iran-grand-bargainers, the Leveretts, have an interesting piece up challenging the notion that the Barack Obama administration was ever serious about engaging Iran. (Because I’m behind on my reading, I only picked up on it via the Progressive Realist.)
These are the same allegations that Dennis Ross, Obama’s top National Security Council official for [...]
- Addressing the Global Biodiversity Crisis Requires Understanding and Prioritizing the Many Values of Nature
- Mexico Makes Risky Bet on Liquefied Gas in New Global Scenario
- A Voice for African Wildlife: A Conversation with Kaddu Sebunya
- The Urgency to Ban All Wars
- Reimagining Ageing: Older Persons as Agents of Development
- International Criminal Court at 20: Renewing the Promise of Justice for the Gravest Crimes
- UN’s “No-Fly List” on Sexual Harassment Falls Short, Complains Rights Group
- Digital Training in Pakistani Villages Yields Bumper Participation
- Bangladesh Flood Victims Cry for Relief
- NATO Summit Set to Further Militarise Europe, Expand in Africa?