by Derek Davison
This is the second in a series of primers on the fast-moving situation in Ukraine, and covers events from March 2 through March 9. For more background on the situation, please see part 1.
Summary of Recent Events
This week saw sporadic military activity on the Crimean peninsula, in [...]
by Mitchell Plitnick
Russia is not staying silent as the US appears to be positioning itself for an attack on the Bashar al-Assad regime in Syria. Defending its last key ally in the region, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned the West against intervention. Western nations [...]
by Jim Lobe
via IPS News
The surprise accord reached by the U.S. and Russia in Moscow Tuesday to try to convene an international conference to resolve the two-year-old civil war in Syria as soon as the end of this month has been greeted with equal measures of hope and scepticism.
If nothing [...]
via Lobe Log
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi’s statement yesterday that the Islamic Republic is prepared to host talks between Bashar Al Assad’s government and the opposition should be regarded as an indication of Tehran’s inability to influence events in Syria. His public declaration was more like a futile public relations [...]
Prior to the start of the P5+1 talks in Geneva that ended earlier this week, five U.S. Senators wrote a letter to President Obama (first reported by Josh Rogin), demanding he not make any deal with Iran that would permit any domestic uranium enrichment. If that became the U.S. negotiating position, it would make [...]
- Replacing Monopolies with Impact Rewards
- ‘Building Back Better’: Jordan’s Road to Green Economic Recovery
- Scientific Panel’s Scoping Report Instructive for Global Food Systems Transformation
- With the World Bank’s “Doing Business” Out of Business, What Should Come Next?
- How Satellite Technologies Can Aid Fiji, Other Pacific Island Nations to Build Climate Resilience
- On the Verge of Change
- How Transforming Food Systems Could Unlock a $12 Trillion Global Windfall
- Climate Finance Can Transform Food Systems
- Women Leaders Hailed for COVID-19 Response
- BRICS Puts on Annual Show of Unity