By Kevan Harris
What is the state of Iran’s economy in 2013 compared to a year ago?
Iran’s economy enters 2013 significantly worse than a year ago, particularly with higher inflation and unemployment than at the beginning of 2012. The rial also plunged from around 11,000 to the dollar at [...]
via Lobe Log
By Scott McConnell
I spent the weekend canvassing for Obama in the Virginia Beach area. The task for the hundreds of volunteers who descended from DC and New York was to make sure the maximum number of Virginia’s “sporadic Democratic voters” — a designation which seemed to mean, pretty much, [...]
via Lobe Log
US-Iran relations expert Trita Parsi explains why diplomatic headway can be made with Iran in the time period after the US presidential election and before the Iranian election in the Daily Beast’s “Open Zion“:
Between November 8, 2012, and mid-March 2013, a unique opportunity exists to make diplomatic headway [...]
via Lobe Log
This week Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton indicated they wanted talks with Iran to resume even as the US’s dual-track policy of pressure and diplomacy (translation: more sanctions) continues:
HIGH REPRESENTATIVE ASHTON: As you know, in New York, I was feeding back to the P-5+1/E-3+3 ministers [...]
via IPS News
Graphic: The figures signify the number of times each country was mentioned in the Oct. 22 presidential debate. Credit: Zachary Fleischmann/IPS
U.S. strategy in the Greater Middle East, which has dominated foreign policy-making since the 9/11 attacks more than 11 years ago, similarly dominated the third and last debate between [...]
Can Washington Move from Pacific Power to Pacific Partner?
Reposted by arrangement with Tom Dispatch
By John Feffer
The United States has long styled itself a Pacific power. It established the model of counterinsurgency in the Philippines in 1899 and defeated the Japanese in World War II. It [...]
Iran will be able to achieve a nuclear bomb within one or two years, the incoming head of Israel’s Military Intelligence said Tuesday, but added that such a move would [...]
- COVID-19: Where to From Here For Efforts to Support Youth Economic Inclusion?
- STRONGER TOGETHER IN CRISES’ – EDUCATION CANNOT WAIT REACHES 3.5 MILLION CHILDREN AND YOUTH IN HUMANITARIAN CRISES WORLDWIDE
- The Growing Global Movement to End Outdoor Advertising
- Reform of the United Nations Organization
- CPTPP Trade Liberalization Charade Continues
- US-IRAN-CHINA: Travails of a Trilateral Triangle, and the Emergence of an Eastern Front
- COVID Crisis Challenges in People with Disabilities and Hansen’s Disease
- Understanding the Benefits of local Wetland Encourages Eswatini Community to Save it
- Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going?
- Building Resilience in Pacific Education