by Jim Lobe
First, it wanted the Senate to pass a binding bill (Kirk-Menendez, or S. 1881) that was certain to sabotage the nuclear negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 (the U.S., Britain, France, China, and Russia plus Germany). When that stalled in mid-January at only 59 co-sponsors, all but [...]
The following is a letter sent by Gary Sick, the Columbia University professor who served as the Iran expert on the National Security Council under Presidents Ford, Carter, and Reagan, to Sen. Charles Schumer of his home state, New York, in response to Thursday’s unveiling of the Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act of 2013.
via Lobe Log
Not too long ago, John McCain considered Chuck Hagel to be one of the leading voices on national security and foreign policy in the Senate. “I’d be honored to have Chuck with me in any capacity,” McCain said in 2006. Although the two had disagreed about Iraq policy for the past [...]
via Lobe Log
The US government has swept into action in the aftermath of the Palestinians’ overwhelming victory at the United Nations on Thursday. No less than three amendments were brought in the Senate, to be attached to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) — a bill which has nothing to do [...]
While well-known U.S. hawks and neoconservatives are pushing for military strikes against Iran in response to the alleged “Iranian plot”, the Obama administration has been attempting to rally support from other countries for further punitive measures against Iran, such as sanctioning its central bank, Bank Markazi. If implemented the U.S. move [...]
Posted with the permission of Think Progress
The decision of more than 90 U.S. senators to press President Obama for Iraq-style sanctions on Iran flew in the face of what some observers warned could be the beginning of a stress test of the international support for pressuring Iran and another step [...]
- Africa Remains Resolute Heading to COP 24
- Is There a Remittance Trap?
- Africa Must Increase Spending on Health Care, Education & Modern Contraception
- Breaking Taboos: Teaching Migrant Communities about HIV/AIDS Prevention in Mauritania
- UN Vote on Palestine a Humiliating Defeat for US & its Envoy
- For the Survival of the Nile and its People
- Parliamentarians to Assess Population & Development Funding 24 Years After Historic Conference
- Developing Countries Losing Out To Digital Giants
- What Accounts For Southeast Asia’s Phenomenal Success?
- UAE has taken major steps to guarantee future food security: Mariam Almheiri