via Lobe Log
Foreign Policy’s Stephen Walt highlights a chart by Belfer Center fellow Matt Waldman showing that as the US-led 2009 “Surge” in Afghanistan proceeded, US casualties increased. The pace in 2012 is also roughly similar to the toll from the previous two years:
Equally important, the final column (based on figures [...]
via IPS News
Paula Broadwell, whose affair with Gen. David Petraeus brought his career to a sudden end last week, had sought to help defend his decision in 2010 to allow village destruction in Afghanistan that not only violated his own previous guidance but the international laws of war.
But her efforts had [...]
- Persecution of Uganda’s Gays Intensifies as Rights Groups Go Underground
- Japan Seeks Foreign Workers, Uneasily
- Culture Increasingly Unaffordable for Cubans
- Bringing the Bridges Home
- U.S.-Russia Sabre Rattling May Undermine Nuke Meeting
- U.S. Urged to Tackle Lead in Aviation Gasoline
- Charting a Course for Survival, or Oblivion?
- Nigeria – From Sticks and Machetes to Rocket-propelled Grenades
- Weak Laws and Capitalist Economy Deplete Kenya’s Natural Wealth
- Cuba’s Burgeoning Private Sector Hungry for Flora and Fauna