by Jim Lobe
Sixty-one percent of the American public prefers a deal permitting Iran to continue limited uranium enrichment and imposing intrusive inspections on its nuclear facilities in exchange for some sanctions relief, according to a unique new survey released here Tuesday.
In contrast to previous polling on attitudes toward Iran’s nuclear program, the survey, conducted [...]
by Jasmin Ramsey
*This post has been updated.
Jim refuses to join Twitter, but today Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani provided him with another reason to reconsider:
Iran gives notice to international community to use all its might to prevent use of chemical weapons anywhere in the world, esp. in #Syria
via Lobe Log
Virginia tech economist and Lobe Log contributor Djavad Salehi-Isfahani adds to the growing list of reasons why the Obama administration’s Iran sanctions policy is counterproductive in Foreign Policy Magazine:
Despite everything, Iran seems to be weathering the storm better than advertised. Sanctions were intended to inflict economic pain [...]
via IPS News
As Iran faces economic unrest, discussion is intensifying over the impact sanctions are having on Iran’s economy.
But experts doubt that the current situation portends the end of the Iranian regime or Iranian capitulation to Israeli and Western-led demands that it change its nuclear stance.
“You have now a market [...]
In response to a worrying trend in U.S. politics Lobe Log has launched Iran Hawk Watch. Each Friday we will post on notable militaristic commentary about Iran from a variety of sources including news articles, think tanks and pundits.
*This week’s must read is “Obama’s Counterproductive New Iran Sanctions: How Washington is Sliding [...]
- Humanitarian Situation Worsens as Over 800,000 Displaced People Face Cold and Heavy Rains in Ethiopia
- Japan: the Land of the Rising Robots
- Q&A: Raising the Profile on the Largest Environmental Issue of Our Time
- Forests and Marine Resources Continue to Shrink
- Why Women Migrant Workers Are Compelled to Come Back
- Mission Accomplished: 15 Years of Peacekeeping Success in Liberia
- A UN Parliament Gains Support in an Age of Divisive Political Leaders
- DEWA strengthens ties with German company
- GGGI and AMATA ink an MoU to establish Green and Smart city
- A Gender-Specific Approach To Counter-Terrorism