by Jim Lobe
Sixty-one percent of the American public prefers a deal permitting Iran to continue limited uranium enrichment and imposing intrusive inspections on its nuclear facilities in exchange for some sanctions relief, according to a unique new survey released here Tuesday.
In contrast to previous polling on attitudes toward Iran’s nuclear program, the survey, conducted [...]
by Jasmin Ramsey
*This post has been updated.
Jim refuses to join Twitter, but today Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani provided him with another reason to reconsider:
Iran gives notice to international community to use all its might to prevent use of chemical weapons anywhere in the world, esp. in #Syria
via Lobe Log
Virginia tech economist and Lobe Log contributor Djavad Salehi-Isfahani adds to the growing list of reasons why the Obama administration’s Iran sanctions policy is counterproductive in Foreign Policy Magazine:
Despite everything, Iran seems to be weathering the storm better than advertised. Sanctions were intended to inflict economic pain [...]
via IPS News
As Iran faces economic unrest, discussion is intensifying over the impact sanctions are having on Iran’s economy.
But experts doubt that the current situation portends the end of the Iranian regime or Iranian capitulation to Israeli and Western-led demands that it change its nuclear stance.
“You have now a market [...]
In response to a worrying trend in U.S. politics Lobe Log has launched Iran Hawk Watch. Each Friday we will post on notable militaristic commentary about Iran from a variety of sources including news articles, think tanks and pundits.
*This week’s must read is “Obama’s Counterproductive New Iran Sanctions: How Washington is Sliding [...]
- International Aid Feeds Hope and Fuels Confrontation in Venezuela
- Dismantling Sexual Health Stigma in India
- Q&A: Suriname’s President Champions Preserving the World’s Forests
- Bringing #MeToo to the Fashion Industry
- ‘Today, We Declare Our Love to Our Forests and Ecosystems’
- CPJ joins call for Nigeria to ensure internet and social media services remain connected during elections
- Philippines’ Maria Ressa detained and released over ‘political’ charge
- Q&A: What of the Carbon Neutral Countries?
- The Role Technology Can Play in Fighting Climate Change and Deforestation
- Rapa Nui’s Stone Statues and Marine Resources Face Threats from Climate Change