by Henry Precht
The starting point for understanding Egypt’s August 14th massacre is Black Friday — September 8, 1978 — during the Iranian Revolution.
On that day, 35 years ago, the Shah’s troops killed an untold number of demonstrators in Jaleh Square in south Tehran. Martial law had been declared the day [...]
by Wayne White
Many Americans, shocked by the appalling casualties from the crackdown ordered by Armed Forces Commander Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, understandably have reacted by calling for a cut-off of US aid to Egypt. Yet, doing so probably would be ineffective, further reducing Washington’s already limited influence [...]
by Emile Nakhleh
via IPS News
The military’s removal of democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi poses a serious challenge to Washington’s pro-democracy agenda and its ability to influence events in Egypt and the rest of the region.
The Barack Obama administration should make it clear to Egyptian Secretary of Defence [...]
by Barbara Slavin
via IPS News
It’s no wonder that Egypt has floundered in its efforts to create a more democratic system from the ruins of the Mubarak regime.
A sweeping new history of Middle Eastern political activists shows that the search for justice has deep roots in the region but has often been thwarted [...]
via Lobe Log
As the Arab Spring turns two, job creation offers the key promise of success in post-autocratic societies. While other important lessons could be gleaned from the unprecedented Arab upheavals, economic growth is the most shining one. Unless Washington and other Western capitals understand the criticality of the economic factor and assist [...]
Posted with the permission of Gary’s Choices
By Gary Sick
Michelle Moghtader of CNN has collected a set of reasons why Iran is not experiencing the same kind of turmoil as are other countries in the Middle East. The commentators she quotes are expert, and their reasons are sensible.
Basically, they [...]
- The Crisis of Refugees and Their Sufferings Call for a Solution
- UN Report Falls Short on Humanitarian Crisis Around Lake Chad
- International Response to the Mexico Earthquake
- The Shifting Dynamics of Rhino Horn Trafficking
- Mexico’s Disaster Response System Severely Stretched by Quake
- A Trump Doctrine of Hypocrisy
- Poor Orphan Crops…So Valuable, So Neglected
- Macron Defends Globalist Approach at UN General Assembly
- Latest Major Hurricane Leaves Dominica “Devastated”
- Bangladesh Needs to Shore up Its Flood Defence