You would never know I am an urgent, existential issue threatening human civilisation at the U.N. climate summit here in the final week in Doha. It is more like a trade negotiation, where hard-fought agreement to change the word “shall” to “may” in a document is considered progress.
Victory here is to change a word, [...]
Tony Karon has a nice analysis up at Abu Dhabi’s the National. Many pundits in the U.S. have delivered the verdict that Iran won in the Arab uprisings. But Karon spots a false choice, and once again Turkey is the critical example.
Viewed through the prism of a zero-sum conflict between a [...]
When the Bush administration used the Iraq War as a vehicle to spread democratic change in the Middle East, anger with the United States on foreign policy issues — particularly Iraq and the Arab-Israeli conflict [...]
- Q&A: “Protect Your Biodiversity”
- Opinion: Appointing a New U.N. Secretary-General
- Pollution a Key but Underrated Factor in New Development Goals
- U.N. Security Council Focuses on Children as Victims of Armed Groups
- Indonesian President Unyielding on Death Penalty
- Opinion: Education as a Cornerstone for Women’s Empowerment
- Acting Tough to Earn Respect as Policewomen in Argentina
- Joan Baez, Ai Weiwei Awarded Amnesty International’s Top Honour
- Global Citizenship Essential for Gender Equality: Ambassador Chowdhury
- Opinion: Foreign Policy is in the Hands of Sleepwalkers