You would never know I am an urgent, existential issue threatening human civilisation at the U.N. climate summit here in the final week in Doha. It is more like a trade negotiation, where hard-fought agreement to change the word “shall” to “may” in a document is considered progress.
Victory here is to change a word, [...]
Tony Karon has a nice analysis up at Abu Dhabi’s the National. Many pundits in the U.S. have delivered the verdict that Iran won in the Arab uprisings. But Karon spots a false choice, and once again Turkey is the critical example.
Viewed through the prism of a zero-sum conflict between a [...]
When the Bush administration used the Iraq War as a vehicle to spread democratic change in the Middle East, anger with the United States on foreign policy issues — particularly Iraq and the Arab-Israeli conflict [...]
- Women’s Health Takes Center Stage at UN Population Awards
- Disagreement Continues Over Global Drug Policy
- Ethiopia-Eritrea: The Cry of the Imburi
- Let 5-year-old Sherry Tell You How Handwashing with Soap Saves Lives
- Bringing Back Our Girls Is Not The End of The Story
- Political Crisis Looms in Nicaragua in Run-Up to Elections
- Brits Shouldn’t ‘Brexit’
- Lords of the Campus
- Collective Indifference or Silent Acceptance?
- UN Staff Unions Demand Stronger Action on Sexual Abuse