You would never know I am an urgent, existential issue threatening human civilisation at the U.N. climate summit here in the final week in Doha. It is more like a trade negotiation, where hard-fought agreement to change the word “shall” to “may” in a document is considered progress.
Victory here is to change a word, [...]
Tony Karon has a nice analysis up at Abu Dhabi’s the National. Many pundits in the U.S. have delivered the verdict that Iran won in the Arab uprisings. But Karon spots a false choice, and once again Turkey is the critical example.
Viewed through the prism of a zero-sum conflict between a [...]
When the Bush administration used the Iraq War as a vehicle to spread democratic change in the Middle East, anger with the United States on foreign policy issues — particularly Iraq and the Arab-Israeli conflict [...]
- Merkel Under Pressure for Refugee Policy in Germany
- Five Key G20 Powers Break Promise to Help Tackle Corruption
- Netherlands to Host Global Centre of Excellence on Climate Adaptation
- UN Declares War on Ocean Plastic
- Unleashing the Power of the Private Sector
- Choosing to Breathe Clean Air
- Humankind’s Ability to Feed Itself, Now in Jeopardy
- The Rise of One-Person Households
- Shrinking and Darkening, the Plight of Kashmir’s Dying Lakes
- Trump Marks the End of a Cycle