You would never know I am an urgent, existential issue threatening human civilisation at the U.N. climate summit here in the final week in Doha. It is more like a trade negotiation, where hard-fought agreement to change the word “shall” to “may” in a document is considered progress.
Victory here is to change a word, [...]
Tony Karon has a nice analysis up at Abu Dhabi’s the National. Many pundits in the U.S. have delivered the verdict that Iran won in the Arab uprisings. But Karon spots a false choice, and once again Turkey is the critical example.
Viewed through the prism of a zero-sum conflict between a [...]
When the Bush administration used the Iraq War as a vehicle to spread democratic change in the Middle East, anger with the United States on foreign policy issues — particularly Iraq and the Arab-Israeli conflict [...]
- A Matter of Life and Death
- Women Turn Potatoes into Gold in Zimbabwe’s Cities
- Gazans Find Tuneful Resistance
- Pakistani Women Hit Hurdles in Medical Profession
- Congress Pressured on Multinational Corporate Accountability
- Gun Violence Darkens Political Unrest in Venezuela
- Dangerous Combo: Violence in Pregnancy and HIV in South Africa
- Sun Shines on Forest Women
- Tahrir Square Finds a GrEEK Neighbour
- U.S. Plans to Speed Poultry Slaughtering, Cut Inspections