You would never know I am an urgent, existential issue threatening human civilisation at the U.N. climate summit here in the final week in Doha. It is more like a trade negotiation, where hard-fought agreement to change the word “shall” to “may” in a document is considered progress.
Victory here is to change a word, [...]
Tony Karon has a nice analysis up at Abu Dhabi’s the National. Many pundits in the U.S. have delivered the verdict that Iran won in the Arab uprisings. But Karon spots a false choice, and once again Turkey is the critical example.
Viewed through the prism of a zero-sum conflict between a [...]
When the Bush administration used the Iraq War as a vehicle to spread democratic change in the Middle East, anger with the United States on foreign policy issues — particularly Iraq and the Arab-Israeli conflict [...]
- How to Stir up a Refugee Crisis in Five Steps, Trump Style
- Sri Lanka’s Small Tea Farmers Turn Sustainable Land Managers
- Syrian Regime Survives on Russian Arms & UN Vetoes
- Costa Rican Town Fears That the Sea Will Steal Its Shiny New Face
- Caribbean Faces Forecast for Prolonged Drought
- UN to Investigate Violations Against Rohingya
- The Failure of the Happiness Index
- Food Security in the Middle East Sharply Deteriorated
- UAE unveils first National Strategy for Children with Disabilities