via Lobe Log
In its most explicit statement so far, the Obama administration — via Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — has made clear that Washington wants bilateral talks with Iran. Speaking at the Brookings Institution’s Saban Center last night she said in answer to a question:
We are deeply engaged in consultations right now with our P-5+1 colleagues, looking to put together a presentation for the Iranians at the next meeting that does make it clear we’re running out of time, we’ve got to get serious, here are issues we are willing to discuss with you, but we expect reciprocity.Now, I would also add, David, that we have, from the very beginning, made it clear to the Iranians we are open to a bilateral discussion. And we have tried. You know the President tried to reach out. Dennis Ross is here. He was instrumental in those first two years in trying to create some kind of opportunity for dialogue on the nuclear issue. So far there has not yet been any meeting of the minds on that. But we remain open. And we’ve certainly tried quite hard in the P-5+1 context to have a bilateral discussion, and they’ve not been willing to do so. But we understand that it may take pushing through that obstacle to really get them fully responsive to whatever the P-5+1 offer might be. Right now, we’re working on the P-5+1 and making our willingness known that we’re ready to have a bilateral discussion if they’re ever ready to engage.
- Opinion: Ending Child Marriage – What Difference Can a Summit Make?
- Better Nutrition for Better Lives
- Uganda, Tanzania Need Gender Sensitive Climate Change Policies
- Drought Threatens Water-Truck Lifeline in Parched Northeast Brazil
- Women Suffer Psychological Problems After Living Under Taliban
- Terrorism Index Shows Nine-Fold Increase Since 2000
- World’s Poorest Nations Battle Rising Rural Poverty
- Climate Refugees and a Collapsing City
- From Darkness to Light: Dramatic Rescue of Tanzanian Miners Trapped 41 Days in Rubble
- Did Argentina’s Elections Mark Start of Shift to the Right in South America?