Conditional cash transfers to affect sexual behaviour are increasingly popular in HIV prevention research and rhetoric. This consists in paying mostly young people money if they do not get a sexually transmitted infection (STI), which is a marker for unprotected sex and, therefore, HIV risk.
The intriguingly titled RESPECT study (Rewarding Sexually Transmitted Infection [...]
Any procedure which involves cutting off a healthy part of a human’s body, a part which functions normally, should raise ethical questions. Ethicists are still debating whether it is ethical to circumcise a boy child, as this will affect him for the rest of his life.
With evidence that circumcision can reduce HIV risks [...]
PrEP, or pre-exposure prophylaxis in drier scientific language, is the taking of ARVs to prevent HIV infection. It could be one of the most wonderful scientific advances of recent times – or maybe not?
Reflecting on the slogan zero new HIV infections, zero HIV-related discrimination and zero AIDS-related deaths.
Language has always mattered in the AIDS epidemic. From the outset, stigma was fuelled by blaming phrases like “gay plague” or “African disease”. As early as 1987, sociologist Paula Treichler called AIDS an epidemic of signification, noting [...]
Should a university be a place where a young person can develop sexual competence, in preparation for a sexually fulfilling adulthood, or should university authorities try to limit opportunities for sexual exploration in line with many parental expectations?
When Ugandan teenager Jackline Kemigisha was sexually abused at the age of 15 and infected with HIV, the health professional who diagnosed her disclosed her status to her family without Jackline’s consent. This was a result of a policy requiring parents’ consent before starting antiretroviral therapy for someone who is under 18.
Subsequently, Jackline’s father [...]
- 10 Days to Defeat 2547 Miles of Pain
- Forests & Climate: We Need to do Much, Much More
- Turning Carriers of Water into Managers of Water
- Guess Who’s Behind Paralysis on COVID19 in the UN Committee on World Food Security
- For the South, all Roads in Global Economic Governance Lead to Inequality & Vulnerability
- Inflation Bogey Blocking Recovery
- Will Countries Reach an Agreement at COP26?
- We Will Never Give Up the Slavery Reparations Fight, say Caribbean Rastafarians
- What Fate for Three Billion of Humans Who Are Born Equals?
- Hamburgers and Climate Change